Thursday, January 26, 2012

Can you hear the sound of hysteria?

It's calling out to Idiot America!


Even though the goal of this blog is to give you a behind the scenes look at The Hanover Theatre, there are times where I feel the need to share other theatre-related content.  In this case, I made a trip into Boston tonight to see American Idiot and was blown away.  To relate this to our behind the scenes look at the theatre - I can say it is one of the Broadway shows the theatre is looking to book in the next few seasons. No answer as to when it will debut at The Hanover Theatre but I cannot wait to see it again!


For me, seeing live theatre - especially a musical, is an experience that can never be replaced.  Durring a regular concert often times the audience doesn't get the chance to make a true connection with the artist - many times the feelings behind the words are lacking...  But with live theatre you can feel the passion behind every lyric.  If you haven't seen a musical before it is a hard sensation to explain but I always feel a strong connection with person singing and American Idiot was no exception.


The cast was exceptional at this show.  I am slightly biased as I knew one of the main characters from one of my favorite teenage TV shows - but even without him, the singing was amazing.  I am a huge fan of Green Day ever since Dookie was released, and as they have grown and I have continued to love their new material.  And when I heard about American Idiot on Broadway - I knew I had to see it. The Broadway interpretation of the AI album was fantastic, adding violen, cello, and accordion to the instrumentals to add new dimension, with beautiful vocal harmonies throughout the score.


For Green Day fans the show is perfect, and for someone who has never heard any of their music it is just as great.  The story told, is a post 9/11 look at youth trying to figure out their futures.  Three young friends who start off together but choose very different paths - pregnancy at a young age, drugs and city life, and joining the army.  There isn't much dialogue through the show, but you don't need it!  The lyrics, dancing, and gestures tell the story in a way that was so powerful.  When the ensemble came together to belt out "Are We the Waiting?" I got goosebumps!


Here is a clip of the above-mentioned song performed by the Broadway Cast on AOL Sessions:




The show has a little bit of everything - rock, interpretive dance, acrobatics, sex, flight, fights, heart and soul.  Again, I really can't wait for this show to come to our theatre.  I wanted to give one more teaser clip of what this show really has to offer, this is one of my favorite GD songs - 21 Guns.  Again - you will have goosebumps!  Enjoy:







No comments:

Post a Comment